DO276 Containerizing Software Applications
Learn to deploy applications in containers using Docker and Kubernetes
Containerizing Software Applications (DO276) introduces you to deploying applications in containers using Docker and Kubernetes. Learn how to design containers for the deployment of an existing application across multiple containers, build and test those containers using Docker, and deploy the application in a Kubernetes cluster to achieve high availability and load balancing.
Through hands-on labs, students will take a monolithic application and break it down into its distinct services thereby illustrating how containers are an excellent vehicle for microservices architecture deployment.
- Creating containers using Docker
- Working with image registries
- Providing persistent storage to a container
- Creating new images using Dockerfiles
- Implementing image design recommended practices
- Linking containers
- Orchestrating containers using Kubernetes
- Provisioning development and testing environments with Vagrant
Audience and prerequisites
This course is intended for developers, architects, and system administrators who wish to learn how to deploy containerized applications using Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® Atomic Host software and what changes might make them well-behaved applications in a container environment.
Prerequisites for this course
Red Hat recommends these prerequisites:
- Have familiarity with general programming and scripting concepts.
- Have an understanding of the runtime environment configuration for the language of choice.
- Have familiarity with relational database concepts and a basic knowledge of SQL; MySQL experience is recommended.
- Have basic Red Hat Enterprise Linux administration skills; Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification recommended.
Note: The student will not have to do any coding in this course.
Outline for this course
- Introduce and review the course.
- Provision a database server using container technology.
- Work with and manipulate existing container images to produce containerized services.
- Manage the life cycle of an image from creation to deletion.
- Design and code a Dockerfile to build a custom container image.
- Design and build a custom container image for the deployment of an application over multiple containers.
- Deploy a multi-container application using Kubernetes.
- Utilize various techniques to troubleshoot a containerized application.
- Provision a development environment using the Red Hat CDK.
- Demonstrate how to containerize a software application.